Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 23:49:20 +0100

On Dec 13, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:

Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 09:42 AM:

Hmm.
So you have control over the Windows DHCP server ...

In so much as we can control what it tells devices on our subnet. But is
it subnet-wide, which is causing part of the problem.

Option: Set it to tell the devices nothing
aka blank config
Option: Set it to tell the devices to ask the Linux server
Googling I find entries for using 'next-server' on Windows DHCP

next-server does not pass along the dhcp request. It adds info to the dhcpoffer
packer that tells where the client should go AFTER setting up the network
interface. This is usually where it will find a tftp server to get a boot
image. It is not another place to get an address.

http://efreedom.com/Question/3-175643/Windows-Redirect-Dhcp-Traffic-Alternative-Port
which gets back to my idea about suing MAC addresses

I will look to see if this helps. All info is interesting!

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7