Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:16:29 -0800
On 12/13/2010 7:29 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

Dynamic IP addresses on their network, and registration of this in the
company-wide DNS (and NETBIOS), and a few other things I don't know
about I am sure. I doubt they would give us a pool of dynamic addresses
for the Windows machines. But this sort of solution is the one I will
most likely persue if the server cannot be configured correctly.

I'd point out that Microsoft has a large number of papers on
Linux/Windows working together, all the way up to implementing the
Windows AD using a Linus MySql-backed Linux based LDAP server; and of
course the LDAP server and the database can be mirrored :-)

We have no interest in setting up an AD server for this. But we do have
our Linux machines on the company's AD.

I know of some firms that have implemented their Windows file servers on
"Big Iron" *NIX like HP-500s with SAMBA for reliability and performance.
You don't have to suck from the Windows-Server teat in order to run
Windows desktop.

The locals just replaced the Novell file servers with MS file servers.
No accounting for taste.

Ok, so turning the question around, why do you need your own DHCP
server on Linux. Just use theirs.

I've never met a windows box that cared where its IP came from.
Or a linux one either.