Re: [opensuse] opensuse chroot install from another os that have zypper installed
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 18:05:17 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2010-12-13 at 15:49 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 15:50 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Well, the "host" is running a stable opensuse version; I mount the partition
running factory, chroot it, and run zypper dup inside. Basically that's it.

"I mount the partition running factory" covers a lot of ground! I want
to have a directory with factory (or some other version of Linux)
installed into it. That is what Yast claims to allow, but that I have
never gotten to work. Once that directory exists, updates and all should
be as you said. I used to have a Gentoo directory on SUSE that I
maintained in much this way. It does work very nice. Once you get the
directory to start with!

But my method aim is less "audacious". I said "the directory runnin factory", but that is not exact. I should say "holding", not "running". I mean, factory was installed as it always is: booting the install media con cd or dvd. What I do is simply update it with zypper dup, without running factory, but the stable system installed on another partition.

What do I gain? Well, my internet is slow, it takes many hours to download all packages, and I have things to do in the computer during that time. I don't "work" with factory running. So I do that slow phase with the stable system running, and chrooting in a directory the factory partition. Factory is not running, I just run some programs. A zypper dup, mostly.

Plus, if there is a crash in that zypper, my computer does not crash. I can hope to recover.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)