Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:29:46 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 10:30 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 09:42 AM:
On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 09:04 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 08:38 AM:

I guess I am sending out feelers to see if anyone else has an openSUSE
diskless boot sequence (boot images on an openSUSE tftp server) that
involves a Windows dhcp server.

Hmm.
So you have control over the Windows DHCP server ...

In so much as we can control what it tells devices on our subnet. But is
it subnet-wide, which is causing part of the problem.

If this were me; the first experiment I'd try is cutting it out of the
loop altogether.

Not possible. On this network are other windows machines that require
the Windows dhcp server.

What is it that they require from the Windows DHCP server that can't be
supplied by the Linux DHCP server?

Dynamic IP addresses on their network, and registration of this in the
company-wide DNS (and NETBIOS), and a few other things I don't know
about I am sure. I doubt they would give us a pool of dynamic addresses
for the Windows machines. But this sort of solution is the one I will
most likely persue if the server cannot be configured correctly.

I'd point out that Microsoft has a large number of papers on
Linux/Windows working together, all the way up to implementing the
Windows AD using a Linus MySql-backed Linux based LDAP server; and of
course the LDAP server and the database can be mirrored :-)

We have no interest in setting up an AD server for this. But we do have
our Linux machines on the company's AD.

I know of some firms that have implemented their Windows file servers on
"Big Iron" *NIX like HP-500s with SAMBA for reliability and performance.
You don't have to suck from the Windows-Server teat in order to run
Windows desktop.

The locals just replaced the Novell file servers with MS file servers.
No accounting for taste.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST