Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:24:52 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 10:22 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 09:42 AM:

Then I'd try configuring it as a relay agent -- yes I know its on the
same segment and isn't a router -- to the Linux server.

Interesting. Go on...

Plenty there if you google -- better than I can explain in a few words

Finally I'd think about using MAC addresses in the configuration,
possible with a split subnet.

It is a subnet. It cannot be divided any more. At least not without
making more and different problems. It is a VLAN between two offices and
some equipment in the main server room.

Yes it can.
First: use of MAC address can constrain who responds to what.

In the Linux world I can do this. We set up our dhcp server to ignore
unknown hosts. So we do not confuse the Windows PCs on the network. The
Windows folk claim there is no equivalent on their server. They are the
experts there.

Second you can have things like the following to restrict the range of
the DHCP server and thereby 'subnetting' further

#
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.192 {
range dynamic-bootp 192.168.1.20 192.168.1.32 ;
group {
# PXE-specific configuration directives...
# option dhcp-class-identifier "PXEClient";
filename "pxelinux.0";
next-server 192.168.2.18;

host BB0001 {
hardware ethernet 00:00:00:XX:XX:01 ;
fixed-address 192.168.1.15 ;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1;
}
}
}

How you get that, or the other half of the 'subnet'
into the Microsoft server I don't know.

The vlan is set up via a cisco network switch. The locals will not
change it. At least not until they can see that window's dhcp server
can't be made to behave.

But then again, since I use Linux to run things, even with SAMBA when I
am forced top have Windows machines on the LAN, I find I can run even
the Windows need for DHCP from Linux. Are you sure you can't just turn
the Windows DHCP off?

Nope. It is used by a couple of thousand PCs when booting. This includes
two that must be on our subnet. Before those arrived, we did not let
dhcp packets leave our subnet and all were happy. Now we must allow dhcp
activity to leave the subnet.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST