Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:30:23 -0500
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 09:42 AM:
On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 09:04 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer said the following on 12/13/2010 08:38 AM:

I guess I am sending out feelers to see if anyone else has an openSUSE
diskless boot sequence (boot images on an openSUSE tftp server) that
involves a Windows dhcp server.

Hmm.
So you have control over the Windows DHCP server ...

In so much as we can control what it tells devices on our subnet. But is
it subnet-wide, which is causing part of the problem.

If this were me; the first experiment I'd try is cutting it out of the
loop altogether.

Not possible. On this network are other windows machines that require
the Windows dhcp server.

What is it that they require from the Windows DHCP server that can't be
supplied by the Linux DHCP server?

I'd point out that Microsoft has a large number of papers on
Linux/Windows working together, all the way up to implementing the
Windows AD using a Linus MySql-backed Linux based LDAP server; and of
course the LDAP server and the database can be mirrored :-)

I know of some firms that have implemented their Windows file servers on
"Big Iron" *NIX like HP-500s with SAMBA for reliability and performance.
You don't have to suck from the Windows-Server teat in order to run
Windows desktop.

--
People seldom improve when they have no other model but
themselves to copy after.