Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:17:33 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 10:07 -0500, James Knott wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
I have a dhcp server running on openSUSE. In addition to setting up IP
addresses, it instructs the systems where to find the tftp server that
will serve up the boot image, as well as the boot image name. It is
working great.

Unfortunately, this now needs to co-exist on a network where there is a
Windows dhcp server. The problem is that the windows server is faster at
responding to the dhcpdiscover request than is the openSUSE server. Not
much to do about that - race conditions are a fact of life. So, we
thought we would solve this by duplicating the IP address and
next-server/filename stuff on the Windows server. The result should be
that the system still goes to the openSUSE box to get boot files.

Unfortunately, this seems not to work as expected. We get the IP
address. But is is unclear which option in the Windows server
corresponds to Linux's next-server. We set one called 'boot host' that
is described as pointing to the tftp server. But oddly we get nothing.

I guess I am sending out feelers to see if anyone else has an openSUSE
diskless boot sequence (boot images on an openSUSE tftp server) that
involves a Windows dhcp server.

Does the Windows server not support the TFTP server option? If not, is
there no means of manually specifying DHCP options? TFTP server is
option 66.

I think this is called the 'boot host' in the Windows server. At least
the description is that it tells which tftp server from which to get the
boot image. But if we get nowhere, I will see if they will try option
66. I remember that they looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned
'option domain-name', which is what the 'domain name' is in the Linux
config file. The 'option' text was considered suspect. Why it has the
'option' text is indeed a mystery, making for tons o' fun when
translation configurations between servers. I thought there would be
some handy 'windows settings in one column' and 'linux settings in the
other column' table somewhere. It there is, it hides well.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB