Re: [opensuse] [slightly OT:] DHCP and Windows (yuck...)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:13:13 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

I have a dhcp server running on openSUSE. In addition to setting up IP
addresses, it instructs the systems where to find the tftp server that
will serve up the boot image, as well as the boot image name. It is
working great.

Unfortunately, this now needs to co-exist on a network where there is
a Windows dhcp server. The problem is that the windows server is
faster at responding to the dhcpdiscover request than is the openSUSE
server. Not much to do about that - race conditions are a fact of
life. So, we thought we would solve this by duplicating the IP address
and next-server/filename stuff on the Windows server. The result
should be that the system still goes to the openSUSE box to get boot
files.

Unfortunately, this seems not to work as expected. We get the IP
address. But is is unclear which option in the Windows server
corresponds to Linux's next-server. We set one called 'boot host' that
is described as pointing to the tftp server. But oddly we get nothing.

I guess I am sending out feelers to see if anyone else has an openSUSE
diskless boot sequence (boot images on an openSUSE tftp server) that
involves a Windows dhcp server.

Google is probably a better place to go, this thread sounds promising:

http://www.mcseboard.de/windows-forum-lan-wan-32/next-server-bootserver-145714.html

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (-1.8°C)