Re: [opensuse] Where is asterisk???`
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 17:55:58 +1100
On 10/12/2010 16:22, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 12/10/2010 12:29 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
The first is, did you reboot? Often an app appears in the menu only
after a reboot.
I think you may have meant, logout/login.

No, I meant "reboot".

But, I've never seen the need to do that either. I've not encounter a
situation where an application, proper installed, didn't show up in the
"Application Launcher Menu".

Then "You haven't really experienced life as it really is!" :-)

Most of the time what you state is correct but there have been many times when this did not/does not hold.

Only last week I installed an app (cannot remember now which one it was) which did not show up anywhere; I had the exact same situation as James. It only showed up when I *rebooted* - and I mean rebooted.

I think it all has to do with the fact that Linux keeps apps/config files in RAM when they are running and simply changing users (logout/login) does not clear what is retained in RAM.

BC

--

Attorney: Can you describe the individual?
Witness: He was about medium height and had a beard.