Re: [opensuse] OpenSuse considering a rolling release addition to scheduled release
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 03:11:52 -0600
On 12/06/2010 02:29 PM, John Andersen wrote:
avid:

In your use of Arch's rolling release have they ever slipped in packages that
were clean and stable but
hozed over other packages such that you were forced to roll back the upgrade,
or use packages outside
the rolling release to get up and running?

No,

Arch has got a pretty slick setup that catches 99.9% of the potential
problems
before newer packages from testing (factory equivalent) to the stable repos.
Basically before a package gets moved, you have a 'sign-off' on both
architectures from both the devs and the community.

Are new commits really tested against the existing package base, or are they
simply letting
the package management do its normal requires/provides analysis?

Yes, new commits *are* tested against the existing package base. That
is the
essence of a rolling release. For packages with multiple dependencies (eg.
kernel/nvidia drivers, etc..), those 'coupled' packages are always updated as a
group and once they are signed-off, then they get moved to stable. The tricky
ones are the major changes to say hal or dbus, or the current python2->python3
change. They work the same way, but you know they are going to spend more time
in testing (factory) before you see the roll out.

I have never had a bad update that Arch has put out experience a
rollback. (now
there have been a couple of package-1.2.next versions come out in quick
succession :p

This is where things still occasionally go to hell in Debian Rolling Releases.

Arch has been rock solid on both its rolling-release and package
handling. If
opensuse goes this route, I hope they look at all the current rolling-release
distros to find the best practices, but from my experience, they will want to
take an extra-close look at Arch's rolling-release model.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC