Re: [opensuse] HUmm nothing is as simple as it used to be DNS server 11.3
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 02:55:42 -0600
On 12/08/2010 11:49 AM, Peter Nikolic wrote:
Hi once again ..!

I need to get a working DNS server on an internal network port that has
absolutely zero effect at all on a wlan connection (just happens to be my
outside connection and gets it's ip from the wireless router)

the ethernet port i want to hang my NAS device off needs to have a dns server
on it . now on 10.1 this was an absolute whiz simple as you like but now
11.3 Oh boy how the heck does one setup a dns on 11.3 that talks to eth0
only with a base address of 192.168.1.1

it must have no effect at all on wlan0

Pete .

Uuhg.. dunno?

I would tell you to let bind provide addresses for both wired and
wireless.
I've never had reason to do one but not the other. I always figured it was
better to have name resolution handled in one spot for the whole subnet. I can't
say enough about the relatively painless setup of bind configured to receive
dynamic updates from dhcpd using t-sig keys.

You then have one central dns mechanism and can use dhcpd.conf for fine
grain
control of the address space. Generally, the only tweaks that I do other than
separating the fixed/dynamic address ranges it to assign specific fixed
addresses to hosts based on mac addresses that lets me guarantee that a specific
box gets a specific address handed out when they show up on the network. e.g.:

host Rankin-P35a.3111skyline.com {
hardware ethernet 00:11:f5:15:2d:83;
fixed-address 192.168.6.101;
}

guarantees my old Tosh laptop gets .101 assigned even though it is coming in
over a wireless link while:

host killerz.3111skyline.com {
hardware ethernet 00:21:85:14:F0:FE;
fixed-address 192.168.6.106;
}

my son's box gets 106 coming in over a wired link.

Is there any reason you couldn't use a standard setup like that? If so,
you
could set it up once and then just forget about it for years..... It just keeps
working.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC