Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:12:55 +0100

On Wednesday, 2010-12-08 at 11:55 +0100, Oddball wrote:

Thunderbird 3 will purge automatically if it will save N amount of
space. N is configurable, 100kb by default I think.

Right, i saw that while configuring yesterday, see what that will
bring me..

Beware that there is a warning somewhere about doing things while this
purging/compacting is running. It is recomended to stop and watch the
screen till it says "finished". Mine pops a message asking if I want
to compact now, I say yes, and a few seconds later it finishes. My old
computer took minutes.

Yeah, i noticed...

There are two places where Th. wastes space: one is "deleted" mails.
They are not really deleted, they are simply marked as deleted. If you
have an inbox folder and move mails elsewhere, they are copied and
marked as deleted in the inbox, still using space. It can grow a lot.
Compacting the folder saves a lot of space.

Hi Carlos!

You can say that again!
It is a real space hog!
And what i find misleading is that these (sc deleted) mails are invisible!
There is space used, but the visible files and directories do not use
that many room.
I think there's something 'to develop' here ;-)

The other place is the cache. There is one for reading off-line. I
think it may have the same problem. If you are using a local imap
server, there is no sense to keep that cache, you can disable it.

I will take a look at that setting also, thnx for noticing..

Rob.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)

OS: Linux 2.6.34-12-desktop x86_64