Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:07:20 -0500
Oddball said the following on 12/07/2010 05:01 AM:

All my filesystems except root are resiser so they can easily be shrunk
or grown on the LVM substrate. Over the past few years I've gown or
split-and-shrunk what's under /home/anton quite a number of times.
No big deal.

But its no big deal because I decided to use LVM and reiser.
If you didn't do that then you may have a lot of work ahead of you to do
what takes me just a few minutes and is low risk.

Yeah, reiser i used until the prison, and supporting of ext3 and 4.

??? The code is still there and still good.
The crimes of the author have noting to do with the code quality.
In this context - growing and shrinking file systems - its the best we
have. It works and its robust.

LVM i never got. And to create it with an already in use system is
impossible, you have to start over from scratch..

That's what I thought until I found out how to do it.
Go google.

LVM is wonderful; it is so liberating. Worst case, add another drive
and make it part of the group!

Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to build a partitioning tool
that can write and carry out batch files, like partionmagic....than
there would be no troubles at all...The partitioner just has to perform
the tasks before startup, before mount...but helas..nobody seems to be
able to build one...

It's not impossible;e since PartitionMagic _has_ done that. :-)
In fact why not use PM? There's nothing that says

If you read
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
you will see

<quote>
Mission Statement

The goal of GParted is to provide an easy way to graphically manage disk
device partitions, without unintended loss of data, through the use of
GNU libparted and other free software file system tools.
</quote>

Perhaps that means it can preserve the FS as it moves a partition?
Perhaps http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php shows that the tools
exist for some operations, but moving a partition?
Articles like http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/tips/gfs.htm
seem to indicate you can, but has anyone done this with the Linux file
systems?

--
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord
before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without