Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:29:41 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 19:58 +0100, Oddball wrote:

I installed filelight, the second i opened it it was done: *Thunderbird*
eats *54%* of the /home space..
How on earth is this possible!
But more important: How can i get rid of the unnessesary junk it produces?
I throwed away about 15.000 mails, but that had absolutely no effect.

What filelight says:

oddball@AMD64x2sfn1:~/.thunderbird/cgdloiux.default/Mail/pop.iae.nl>
2,373 MB (54%)Files 49
oddball@AMD64x2sfn1:~/.thunderbird/cgdloiux.default/Mail> 2,418 MB (56%)
Files 176
oddball@AMD64x2sfn1:~/.thunderbird/cgdloiux.default> 2,436 MB (56%)
Files 474 (2%)
oddball@AMD64x2sfn1:~/.thunderbird> 2,436 MB (56%) Files 477 (2%)

Can i just empty these dirs without destroying thunderbird?
Or what would be the best i could do?

Well imho, used imap instead of pop.
It leaves all the messages of your mail-server, instead of copying to your mail
client.

It has some other nice side effects, like you can read your mail from different
machines,
or (more) easily re-install a client machine without having to copy all of your
mail-folders across.

hw