Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:24:35 +0100
Op 06-12-10 17:47, Anton Aylward schreef:
Oddball said the following on 12/06/2010 10:47 AM:

The problem is only at the /home of my 11.3 install, which is 5GB.
I can not figure out what takes this space, as i allready cleaned up the
big files like netinstall iso's a.s.
I looked at all the other files and added up: from my accounts there
should be about 1,5 - 1,8GB spare room, the sys tells me there is only
197MB.... large difference....
That is why i wonder what eats that space!

The issue is HOW did you calculate that space?

You seem to be using a GUI and I can't imagine my trying that exercise
without using the command line.

Tools like "du", and "find" can walk your file tree and identify ALL
files. You could, for example, run 'find' to look for files greater
than a minimum size.

But before doing that I want to know if your calculations took into
account the hidden files and directories:

~> du -sb .[a-z]* | sort -rn
645692104 .mozilla
612446498 .thunderbird
371059017 .kde4
362403063 .recoll
202496201 .local
134443051 .googleearth
102454517 .kde
76852935 .cache
71424414 .thumbnails
59711370 .ooo3
46967273 .webex
35418713 .fonts
23450549 .config
20822205 .gnupg
17082049 .e16
13023440 .adobe
12525824 .java

And there's more after that!

You're right! These (hidden files/dirs) are the 'evildoers'....and
indeed, i did not take those into account...
These take about 4/5 of the space i was looking for....
So, i will have to expand that partition, or shrink another and mount
the freecoming part on my /home.
Is this possible?: to mount an extra partition behind /home?

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)

OS: Linux 2.6.34-12-desktop x86_64