Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:22:01 -0500
On 12/06/2010 10:47 AM, Oddball pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Op 06-12-10 15:56, dwgallien schreef:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 13:12, Oddball wrote:

Hi list,

I have to throw some bites away, but when i look, i cannot find where
all space went..
How can i see which files absorb all the space?
If i throw something away with shift-del, does it realy dissappear from
the disk of does it remain in some obscure unseen recycle bin?
If there exists a recycle bin, where does it linger? How do i call upon
it, to see if there is something in it?

Assuming you've already emptied your trash in whatever desktop environ
you're using.. have you poked your /tmp? That can fill up with debris
of failed downloads, extracted files, flash videos you've watched etc.

i cannot find my trashcan :-/ , and my conqueror crashes when i enter
trash:/ in the location bar...
(no, i did not file a bugreport yet) so...
C.

A cron job runs regularly to clean out this directory, based upon a
retention time sysconfig option that can be set in the YaST editor.
Additional directories can also be configured.

Kdirstat will give you a nice detailed list of everything on disk, but AFAIK
it has not been ported to KDE 4. (You can still install it under KDE 4 but
that will also pull in some of the KDE 3 libraries.)

First of all: Thnx for this many responses to my question, it warms my
heart.. :-)

My mistake also was not to tell that i have several seperate partitions
for "/"(various numbered installs) , /tmp, boot, as also the belonging
/homes...ehr..

The problem is only at the /home of my 11.3 install, which is 5GB.
I can not figure out what takes this space, as i allready cleaned up the
big files like netinstall iso's a.s.
I looked at all the other files and added up: from my accounts there
should be about 1,5 - 1,8GB spare room, the sys tells me there is only
197MB.... large difference....
That is why i wonder what eats that space!

I had hoped a tool like Kdirstat, or alike would be around, without kde3
libs needed, only to support that app..

sorry if i put you, my helpers, on the wrong foot, and appologise for
that...
( i hope you'll still help me.... :-s

Rob.

Since you are talking about one filesystem use something like:

du -sk /home/* | sort -n

The directory/file that is using the most space will be listed last, cd
to that directory and run the command again (repeat as needed) until you
find the culprit. Also run this for the "." files/dirs.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998