Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:47:25 +0100
Op 06-12-10 15:56, dwgallien schreef:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 13:12, Oddball wrote:

Hi list,

I have to throw some bites away, but when i look, i cannot find where
all space went..
How can i see which files absorb all the space?
If i throw something away with shift-del, does it realy dissappear from
the disk of does it remain in some obscure unseen recycle bin?
If there exists a recycle bin, where does it linger? How do i call upon
it, to see if there is something in it?

Assuming you've already emptied your trash in whatever desktop environ
you're using.. have you poked your /tmp? That can fill up with debris
of failed downloads, extracted files, flash videos you've watched etc.

i cannot find my trashcan :-/ , and my conqueror crashes when i enter
trash:/ in the location bar...
(no, i did not file a bugreport yet) so...
C.

A cron job runs regularly to clean out this directory, based upon a retention
time sysconfig option that can be set in the YaST editor. Additional
directories can also be configured.

Kdirstat will give you a nice detailed list of everything on disk, but AFAIK
it has not been ported to KDE 4. (You can still install it under KDE 4 but
that will also pull in some of the KDE 3 libraries.)

First of all: Thnx for this many responses to my question, it warms my
heart.. :-)

My mistake also was not to tell that i have several seperate partitions
for "/"(various numbered installs) , /tmp, boot, as also the belonging
/homes...ehr..

The problem is only at the /home of my 11.3 install, which is 5GB.
I can not figure out what takes this space, as i allready cleaned up the
big files like netinstall iso's a.s.
I looked at all the other files and added up: from my accounts there
should be about 1,5 - 1,8GB spare room, the sys tells me there is only
197MB.... large difference....
That is why i wonder what eats that space!

I had hoped a tool like Kdirstat, or alike would be around, without kde3
libs needed, only to support that app..

sorry if i put you, my helpers, on the wrong foot, and appologise for
that...
( i hope you'll still help me.... :-s

Rob.

--