Re: [opensuse] How do i win some space back?
  • From: Hans Witvliet <hwit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:36:55 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 08:37 -0500, Anton Aylward wrote:
This is one area where the CLI can do things that GUI cannot.

Try commands like "du", "df" and the options for "ls" like "-a" and "-s".

I'd also check to see if your 'mount' operations are hiding files.
For example, a mount of a /tmp/ file system - which is normally a good
thing for various reasons, may hide temporary files created in the boot
sequence (or for some other reason) before the /tmp/ was mounted.

Remember, if you have copied a sparse file with some tools it may have
created the previously absent blocks.

Sometimes these tools are still misleading.
You can delete a number of huge files under (for instance) /var/log,
but still dob't see the available diskspace increasing.

In those cases, there is still a program that has those fies open.
In my case is was the notious "tail -f" of a large logfile.

After restarting the tail, available diskspace was calculated as
expected correcty.