Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 13:36:24 +0100
On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 11:37 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:
I still wonder why Intel thought no one would need something like this ...

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Interesting read. This is why we have made our own little dongles to
which we attach various devices. These time stamp (or the equivalent)
things and then pass them on the ethernet to the collection systems.
This way we have everything synchronized to within 1 wheel pulse (<
0.9mm) of vehicle movement.

I think this answers Philipp's puzzlement. Intel expects that
measurement devices will contain enough intelligence to enable
measurement collection to be asynchronous. Or at least they will be
interfaced via such devices.

This is OK in our case as the devices are not consumer grade. I think
intel have only addressed those types of devices. It is expected that
non-standard systems with high demands will have to use non-standard
interfaces. I just wish the local Ph.Bs. would cotton on to this and
stop asking why we "waste money making local solutions when it seems
off-the-shelf solutions must work as well". We are a big believer in
COTS. But it still must work.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST