Re: [opensuse] multiple kernel versions - how to?
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:30:45 +0100
2010. december 2. 21:35 napon David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

Hello,

On Thu, 02 Dec 2010, Istvan Gabor wrote:
2010. december 2. 18:23 napon C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> írta:
Edit /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and enable
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

It would be nice if this was an option in the YaST Software manager...

Thanks. I edited zypp.conf but yast software manager disregards it,
ie. it's not working. Maybe it works with zypper which I never use.

11.2 kernels seem to still lack that provide "multiversion(kernel)".

So, you just have to list your kernels explicitly. From my zypp.conf:

multiversion = kernel-default,kernel-smp,kernel-source,kernel-syms

Add kernel-desktop etc. as desired. BTW: /usr/src/linux points to the
last installed kernel-source tree, but /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build
is correct for multiple versions. Do not add linux-kernel-headers,
that'd get ugly (just have a look at 'rpm -ql'), it should match your
main kernel (distribution kernel) and also there's only one version
for each "major" kernelversion (currently 2.6.31 on 11.2).

Hello David:

I tried the method you'd suggested and it works. Thanks!
Now I have to find out how to configure nvidia driver for the different kernels.
Thanks again,

Istvan