Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 21:22:42 +0100
On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 17:28 +0100, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 15:56:32 -0800, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

USB can use interrupts, as a gander at the Hardware information thingie
in Yast will show you. Each of your controllers has an interrupt assigned.

USB knows interrupt transfers but it doesn't know interrupts in the
way we are used to. See
http://www.embeddedsys.com/subpages/resources/images/documents/InterruptsAndUSB.pdf
for a good description. USB devices *must* be polled by the host
controller, the rate of which is established at enumeration time with
limits as described in the document.

Interesting read. This is why we have made our own little dongles to
which we attach various devices. These time stamp (or the equivalent)
things and then pass them on the ethernet to the collection systems.
This way we have everything synchronized to within 1 wheel pulse (<
0.9mm) of vehicle movement.

Philipp