Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Philipp Thomas <Philipp.Thomas2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 00:36:44 +0100
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 09:20:58 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Obtaining the PPS over the serial port with this or better accuracy is no
problem.
Obtaining the same over USB or ethernet is less provable.

No way, at least not for GPS/Time signals! The reason is that serial
ports can react to interrupts but USB is polling by the host.

But we are always looking. Serial ports are going the way of the dodo.

Yeah, and sadly so! There is currently no connection for peripheral
devices that want to trigger an interrupt. I still wonder why Intel
thought no one would need something like this ...

Philipp