Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:48:26 +0200
At 16:01:50 on Friday Friday 3 December 2010, "Brian K. White"
<brian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would have thought every dinky usb sound card would need good
timing, and usb modems that expect to fax reliably. But then again,
my incredulity doesn't matter because current bluetooth A2DP audio
devices continue to have have wow (speed skew, as in "wow & flutter"
like records and tapes had, but no flutter) no matter how incredulous
I am about it. I mean, CD's had no wow since 1982, laserdiscs had no
wow since 1978. Why in 2010 do several different smart phones
(different OS's different manufacturers, used with different receivers
both in car and in home) have wow when playing audio over
bluetooth?

Presumably, wow in audio must be the result of the irregularity in the
rate of arrival of packets in the stream, and a buffer that isn't large
enough to soak up the irregularity. Is there no way to increase the buffer
size? Is there even a buffer at all?

Fortunately, that is not a problem in my original query, because the
serial device in question is a trackball.

Progress often isn't.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on