Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: "Brian K. White" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 09:01:50 -0500
On 12/3/2010 6:19 AM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:20 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:09 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
port. We have decided that the good old RS-232 is still best for this
type of thing. Too bad real ports are going away. I guess we will soon
be adding RS-232 interface cards to systems.
Moxa has some really neat serial-to-ethernet boxes.
I have seen such devices. The problem is the non-deterministic nature of
packets on the ethernet, versus the hardware interrupt caused by the
serial port line toggle done by the GPS.

+1 These devices are epic-fail for a wide variety of use-cases.

They work very well if you are just streaming data back or forth and
don't require flow-control.

But we are always looking. Serial ports are going the way of the dodo.
Even if there are some real world needs for them. Just not enough of
them to keep them standard on consumer grade computers.

It would seem you need to build a native-USB interface.

Interesting problem. I love how it exemplifies how "progress often isn't".

Maybe get a head start by licensing a reduced version of this that only has to keep two nodes in sync, the pc and the gps. http://www.chronologic.com.au/oemsolutions.html
It's the only thing I find at all when I google for variations of synchronous, deterministic, high precision, timing, and usb.

I would have thought every dinky usb sound card would need good timing, and usb modems that expect to fax reliably. But then again, my incredulity doesn't matter because current bluetooth A2DP audio devices continue to have have wow (speed skew, as in "wow & flutter" like records and tapes had, but no flutter) no matter how incredulous I am about it. I mean, CD's had no wow since 1982, laserdiscs had no wow since 1978. Why in 2010 do several different smart phones (different OS's different manufacturers, used with different receivers both in car and in home) have wow when playing audio over bluetooth?

Progress often isn't.

--
bkw