Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 06:19:56 -0500
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:20 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 09:09 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
port. We have decided that the good old RS-232 is still best for this
type of thing. Too bad real ports are going away. I guess we will soon
be adding RS-232 interface cards to systems.
Moxa has some really neat serial-to-ethernet boxes.
I have seen such devices. The problem is the non-deterministic nature of
packets on the ethernet, versus the hardware interrupt caused by the
serial port line toggle done by the GPS.

+1 These devices are epic-fail for a wide variety of use-cases.

They work very well if you are just streaming data back or forth and
don't require flow-control.

But we are always looking. Serial ports are going the way of the dodo.
Even if there are some real world needs for them. Just not enough of
them to keep them standard on consumer grade computers.

It would seem you need to build a native-USB interface.