Re: [opensuse] multiple kernel versions - how to?
  • From: Istvan Gabor <suseuser04@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:23:33 +0100
Hello:

2010. december 2. 18:56 napon Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx> írta:

On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 06:23:24PM +0100, C wrote:
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 17:39, Istvan Gabor wrote:

I have openSUSE 11.2. In an earlier version - can't remember which one -
it was possible to install different kernel versions (same flavor but
different version numbers) parallel . I can't find out how to do it in
11.2 yast software manager. When I choose a different kernel version
number for installation yast forces the remove the installed version (ie.
forces update), but I want to keep that version as well. How can I do it,
possibly in yast?

Poke the archives and you'll find it has been discussed/described a
couple of dozen times recently.

Does anyone know if there is still coffee in the kitchen? I'm to lazy
to check myself. ;)

Well, if that kitchen is located in another building where I never go, yes.
Frankly, I don't read factory list. Now I checked (googled) opensuse list site
and read some
of the hits but none of them gave a clue, except one from Felix Miata: use smart
package manager. I will try it (aganin) if is still exist.

Edit /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and enable
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

I'm not sure if this works in 11.2. IIRC a list mate reported it as non
working. Those reporting the issue in the past - I'm not sure if it was
Per or Carlos - might have a reference to bugzilla.

It does not, at least not in yast software manager.

It would be nice if this was an option in the YaST Software manager...

And a bit nicer would be a working default approach as described several
times. See for example:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2008-09/msg00394.html

I will try to read this.
Thank for the links,