Re: [opensuse] multiple kernel versions - how to?
  • From: Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:56:54 +0100
On Thu, Dec 02, 2010 at 06:23:24PM +0100, C wrote:
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 17:39, Istvan Gabor wrote:

I have openSUSE 11.2. In an earlier version - can't remember which one - it
was possible to install different kernel versions (same flavor but
different version numbers) parallel . I can't find out how to do it in 11.2
yast software manager. When I choose a different kernel version number for
installation yast forces the remove the installed version (ie. forces
update), but I want to keep that version as well. How can I do it, possibly
in yast?

Poke the archives and you'll find it has been discussed/described a
couple of dozen times recently.

Does anyone know if there is still coffee in the kitchen? I'm to lazy
to check myself. ;)

Edit /etc/zypp/zypp.conf and enable
multiversion = provides:multiversion(kernel)

I'm not sure if this works in 11.2. IIRC a list mate reported it as non
working. Those reporting the issue in the past - I'm not sure if it was
Per or Carlos - might have a reference to bugzilla.

It would be nice if this was an option in the YaST Software manager...

And a bit nicer would be a working default approach as described several
times. See for example:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2008-09/msg00394.html

Short version:

a) Keep always the currently running and know to boot kernel (and initrd)
and uninstall only non used kernels/ initrds
b) A default limit to two[0] kernel packages of the same flavor
- else we risk to use the partition with /boot/ after some time
- else the current bootloader/ menu.lst gets longer, and longer

I don't like seeig us doing this as a "we too" reaction. I'm sure we
have a well described approach. With some luck all we need is a bit
perl knowledge to tweak with perl-Bootloader.

Doesn't anyone else like to get this solved in a smart way?

Lars

[0] By an /etc/sysconfig/bootloader setting we're able to configure
this.
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team