Re: [opensuse] Serial to USB adaptor
  • From: Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:15:46 -0500

On 2010-11-30 Stan offered the following:

I am looking on ebay at a serial-to-usb adapter to use with a trackball
that has a serial connector on its cable. This thing comes with a CD for
Windows. Does anyone know if this is something I can use on a Linux
machine? What would I need to have to use it?

I bought an el-cheapo "gender-mender" type converter from Radio Shack and
plugged
it in .... no software required, from 'Doze or anyone else and it just
works.....threw the 'coaster' that "Doze machines must apparently need for some
reason away before it contaminated anything :) I think in the case of a
mouse, the
rs-232 is close enough to USB that the little converter (plus it's internal
resistors/diodes/whatever) need no software, just the pin diddling.

Richard