Re: [opensuse] Frequent hangs in 11.3 + 4.5 continue
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:22:53 +0100
On Thursday 30 Sep 2010 19:47:53 Will Stephenson wrote:
On Thursday 30 Sep 2010 18:25:38 Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:
You logged in as a new user and didn't have the problems you see in your
account and you still think it's a driver issue? Think again, it has to
be a errant config setting in your user login. If it were a driver issue
it would affect any user that logged in.

That assumes any user's config triggers the driver problem.

That notwithstanding:

Bob, just a thought - you don't have any slideshow Frame applets displaying
large images do you? I accidentally pointed 4.3's Frame at a folder of
18MP images once and the huge pixmaps sent to my weedy graphics card
caused the X server to hang up for a second or two whenever the image
changed. Haven't checked to see if it still occurs though.

Will

No slideshows. Big images only get opened in Digikam or Gimp, and they're not
running unless needed. I have two monitors, running in twinhead mode,
displaying 8 desktops with effects such as rotating desktop cube active. I've
tried switching off effects, without it making any difference, but I'll try
again now ...

... nope, still getting freezes, associated with activity spikes visible in
gkrellm, usually in the fourth core, but sometimes others.

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E