Re: [opensuse] printing from firefox - unable to change page size??
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:57:05 +0200
Johannes Meixner wrote:

Check that there is no /etc/cups/lpoptions file which contains a
page size which contradicts the default in /etc/cups/ppd/Kyocera.ppd
(but if there was such a file, "lpoptions -p <queue_name> -l"
would have shown the page size from that file marked as default).

The system I'm testing this on is pretty much vanilla openSUSE 11.3,
except it has KDE4.5.1 and the last updates - there was
no /etc/cups/lpoptions.

If there is no such /etc/cups/lpoptions file, any application or
printing dialog which shows a default page size which is not
the one in /etc/cups/ppd/Kyocera.ppd has very likely a bug
or it does not query CUPS for the actual default paper size
(the latter is strictly speaking not a bug but a missing feature)

This would seem to affect at least FF, TB and Gimp which all use the
same printing dialogue.

which proves that "There is no such thing as THE default paper size"
and the consequence is that you have to set such stuff manually
(sometimes even again and again in the same application when
the application cannot save your settings).

Hmm. Seems to me that we ought to be putting more focus on getting this
sort of trivial thing to "just work". Isn't that what the current
strategy proposal talks about?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.7°C)