[opensuse] kde-obs-generator is looking for a new name
  • From: Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 09:45:07 +0200
You probably already [5]heard about that. Some time ago, [6]LuboŇ°
[7]created really great tool - [8]kde-obs-generator. This tool takes a
simple config and analyze tarball with sources. Then it will try to
create spec file, dsc file and everything you need to build package
from that. Easy to use even for non-packagers ;-)

One little potential inconvinience with kde-obs-generator was that it
depended on one KDE core library. Not really problem in openSUSE, just
one little library to install, but it might be more complicated
elsewhere. On other distributions dependency on this one KDE library
might be non-trivial and pull in quite some KDE components. And some
folks might dislike it even because something not so practical. I can
imagine that it may sound quite funny packaging Gnome application with
KDE application ;-) So with some poking (and little help) from our side,
LuboŇ° dropped the dependency on KDE libraries and now it depends only
on Qt.

So as it no longer depends on KDE, name kde-obs-generator doesn't
really describe this tool well. So we are looking for a new name! Ideas
suggested so far are obs-generator and Packager-O-Matic. But we know
that our community can be really creative - we got the name for our
chameleon in Prague ZOO from our community - so we are asking for your
help again. Please propose some names for this great tool in
[9]questionare. And if you are going to openSUSE Conference or you
know somebody going there and your proposal will be selected, then you
you can win plush Geeko!

5. http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4265
6. http://www.kdedevelopers.org/blog/280
7. http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4177
8. http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/kde-obs-generator?content=121094
9.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/embeddedform?formkey=dHdmM1ljMDhoUFFBUDM1bjJwbWlpX1E6MQ

Blogpost about that available at http://bit.ly/9ppw8s

--
Michal HRUSECKY SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
openSUSE Boosters Team Lihovarska 1060/12