Re: [opensuse] Re: OpenOffice.org forked....
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 23:49:49 +0200
On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 23:35, James Hatridge wrote:
Why does your IT department need any support contracts? If they will not use
any software (or write it) without support why are they needed? If they have
contracts for everything, then get rid of everyone but one guy to call the
support suppliers.

I've lost track of the number of companies I've dealt with that had a
policy that ALL software in use, had to have a support contract (which
often cost thousands or tens of thousands per year) which they never
used once in the entire lifecycle of the application. These same
companies would blacklist all open source applications regardless of
merit or OS they ran on... simply because they did not have to pay for
them, and could not purchase a service contract they never used. One
company I worked for would sell service contracts to these
companies... on any and all software that the customer wanted...
didn’t' matter what it was... they would support it... gambling (and
winning) on the fact that 99.9999% of all contracts would never ever
be used. While I worked there we had exactly one software service
call.... and it was a no-brainer to resolve... the rest... well it was
a license to print money. The best one we sold was similar to the
Microsoft support contract...a fixed yearly fee, and then a $50 per
service call rate. Since the service call cost $50, the techs would
never call it even if they were in a situation where it would have
helped them resolve the problem quickly. If they did call they'd have
to expense the $50... so instead they'd spend a week researching and
fixing the problem on their own.

When you question the IT guys why they must have support contracts, it
almost always ends up with some pointy haired boss somewhere in the
chain that inherited the policy from his predecessor who inherited it
etc etc... no one questions it, they just mindlessly enforce it
because it's policy.
http://doh-san.blogspot.com/2005/10/five-monkeys.html pretty much
explains it.

C.