Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice.org forked....
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:54:45 +0200
On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 10:08 -0400, Mike McMullin wrote:

Would your IT department prefer one vendor or two for support? Our IT
guys will not roll out FireFox to the desktops because we "cannot get a
support contract" for it, even though IE keeps crashing at startup. I
figure that many IT departments in SMB are probably in the same mindset,
keep the support simple even if it means paying more than you have to.

Not just SMB. We are a 9000+ employee company. Just this past month
Novell file server was replaced by MS. The IT group want everything to
be MS. I would guess it simplifies support in that they need only get
familiar with one brand of strangeness. But you can't help but think
that the choice of MS is to a large extent job security. And they have
these neat etched glass certificates from MS that show they 'know their
stuff'. A wall full of these surely is impressive to the folk that
approve this direction. Hell, if they know the MS stuff, then we would
be fools not to use it...

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST