Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 09:39:25 -0400

Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:

IIRC the protocol originally was very low level, usually at network
card MAC/Arp addressing (and normally non-routable as a consequence).
Therefore, a properly configured PXE server config *is* required

Well, in my setup I have no such PXE server, has worked fine without it
for a good few years. I have DHCP and TFTP though.

The PXELinux config does have the capability of loading a remote image
without the need for a dhcp server. A static temporary TCP/IP address
may be used for image transfer. See PXELinux documentation at...

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

As I stated before I have used PXE in an environment with no dhcp server
with just a default directory defined with no problems.

That's what I use - PXElinux.

I think that should have been "PXE uses BOOTP or DHCP"?

AFAICT (by googling), a PXE server is exactly what I proposed, i.e. a
DHCP+TFTP server. I haven't found any downloadable "PXE server"
package, only instructions for setting one up - which invariably
includes setting up DHCP and TFTP etc. PXE is a software environment
(by Intel IIRC) on the client, not a protocol.

Hi,
I couldn't get the dhcp server to work yesterday evening after going
through the instructions given on the mail list. I did some more google
searching and found that I could make a boot floppy for Xubunu that
allowed me to install a boot manager. From that boot manager, I could
select "boot from cdrom," which I did and was able to install from the
dvd drive.

That worked for one of the two laptops. The other laptop has an
external dvd drive, and even the simple boot manager loaded from floppy
disk doesn't recognize it. So I can't boot from the dvd on that
computer.

I plan on working on the tftp/dhcp boot again on that computer later
today when I have some free time.

Mark