Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:34:23 +0200
G T Smith wrote:

IIRC the protocol originally was very low level, usually at network
card MAC/Arp addressing (and normally non-routable as a consequence).
Therefore, a properly configured PXE server config *is* required

Well, in my setup I have no such PXE server, has worked fine without it
for a good few years. I have DHCP and TFTP though.

However, because DHCP now can handle PXE requests correctly it seems
somebody has decided to enforce a requirement that a DHCP server be
installed (argh !!! ). Red Hat have followed a similar path. (I am not
sure how this approach is supposed to help the less technically
literate with this need).

It's not really that new - my old cluster was built around 2002. It did
PXE boot from floppy, got IP+filename+nextserver from DHCP and that was
it.

As I do not personally wish to run a DHCP server, I have to find an
alternative to SuSE's current approach in my next upgrade, A
PXELinux/SYSLinux config seems the most promising at moment.

That's what I use - PXElinux.

a boot image appropriate for the client associated with the MAC
address which is downloaded and control is passed to that image (PXE
is a more advanced version of BOOTP).

I think that should have been "PXE uses BOOTP or DHCP"?

BOOTP when I first came across it, worked for both IPX networks with
and without TCP/IP support, the primary issue was that the boot image
had to very small by today's standards. PXE servers can serve up boot
options and download much larger boot images than many BOOTP servers
were capable of. (IPX does not normally have the equivalent of DHCP
servers as it does not need it). So I stand by original comment.

AFAICT (by googling), a PXE server is exactly what I proposed, i.e. a
DHCP+TFTP server. I haven't found any downloadable "PXE server"
package, only instructions for setting one up - which invariably
includes setting up DHCP and TFTP etc. PXE is a software environment
(by Intel IIRC) on the client, not a protocol.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.3°C)