Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:15:24 +0100

Per Jessen wrote:
G T Smith wrote:

Hmm... not sure a dhcp server is a requirement. I do not run one and
have installed succesfully using PXE in past...

IIRC The PXE client client broadcasts a packet that contains the
client MAC address... a PXE server then responds with the location of

I suspect PXE Server = DHCP + TFTP.

On checking, I found the original pages I used have been deleted from
the SuSE site...

IIRC the protocol originally was very low level, usually at network card
MAC/Arp addressing (and normally non-routable as a consequence).
Therefore, a properly configured PXE server config *is* required but a
properly configured dhcp server is not (just a bit more useful in more
complex environments).

However, because DHCP now can handle PXE requests correctly it seems
somebody has decided to enforce a requirement that a DHCP server be
installed (argh !!! ). Red Hat have followed a similar path. (I am not
sure how this approach is supposed to help the less technically literate
with this need).

As I do not personally wish to run a DHCP server, I have to find an
alternative to SuSE's current approach in my next upgrade, A
PXELinux/SYSLinux config seems the most promising at moment.

a boot image appropriate for the client associated with the MAC
address which is downloaded and control is passed to that image (PXE
is a more advanced version of BOOTP).

I think that should have been "PXE uses BOOTP or DHCP"?

BOOTP when I first came across it, worked for both IPX networks with and
without TCP/IP support, the primary issue was that the boot image had to
very small by today's standards. PXE servers can serve up boot options
and download much larger boot images than many BOOTP servers were
capable of. (IPX does not normally have the equivalent of DHCP servers
as it does not need it). So I stand by original comment.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup