[opensuse] wiki software
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:13:05 +0100
I use wikis as a kind of personal notebook to provide an index and
reference to all my other information. So they're quite important to me.

I originally started with kwiki and then moved to mediawiki. I recently
moved to opensuse 11.2 and discovered that mediawiki was no longer
provided. I'm reluctant to install and maintain from upstream because of
the extra hassle. This is just a very important tool to me and I need
reliable, low-maintenance tools.

I found a copy of mediawiki in home:Michael_Knight/openSUSE_11.2 so I
installed that and it appeared to work, until I tried to log in, when I
got PHP errors. It looks like they are well-known and fixed in later
versions of mediawiki. So that build should be removed from the
repository, IMHO.

That leaves me with the problem of what to do now. I just used webpin to
see what the alternatives are and discovered that there are apparently
no wiki systems supported on opensuse! Just add-ons for various systems.
This seems like a major functional omission so I'm hoping somebody can
tell me that I've missed something.

I also know that the opensuse.org wiki is built on mediawiki, so I'm a
bit surprised that there isn't a build of the version that is used.

I notice that Synaptic shows that Ubuntu supports several wiki systems.
I'm hoping to discover that opensuse supports at least one.

Cheers, Dave

("This page has been deleted")

PPS The "Search options" link on <http://software.opensuse.org/search>
doesn't work. It would be nice if the noscript default didn't disable
functionality!