Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 19:59:56 +0200
Mark Misulich wrote:

I think that PXEboot is a client,

Yes it is. It is a Preboot Execution Environment that some servers and
network cards come with. Basically, the PXE setup will ask a DHCP
server for an IP-address and the name of a TFTP server, then carry on
from there.

http://polishlinux.org/installation/installing-linux-over-network-no-cd-drive/

I have been following this tutorial and others like it, trying to
adapt it to suse.

You need a working DHCP server and a working TFTP server. They may be
one and the same. In my case, I used to boot a cluster via PXE from
etherboot@floppy. The DHCP dishes out an IP-address and a "next-server"
and a filename. The PXE setup will then try to use TFTP to get
<filename> from <next-server>.
Because you already have a working PXE setup, courtesy of your network
card, I'm not entirely sure how to continue - I would expect to find
some messages from your tftp server that could point us in the right
direction.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.5°C)