Re: [opensuse] remote installation
  • From: Anton Aylward <anton.aylward@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:08:24 -0400
Mark Misulich said the following on 09/28/2010 12:42 PM:

My lan is my desktop computer connected to my wireless/wired router.
The router is connected to my dsl modem via cable. The laptop computer
that I am trying to install the os on is connected to the router via
cable.

I no longer run a LAN quite like that, but when I did ...

My ISP ran a DHCP _server_ that have the dynamic IP address to the
(wired) internet-facing side of my wireless router.

The wireless router had a bridge so that the wireless and the four
Ethernet ports on the back were on the same subnet.

(I can't say I like that, but never mind)

The wireless router ran a DHCP _server_ for those ports

My laptops(s) were wired in to the Ethernet ports.
(Why? 'Cos they were on the same table. When I went out to the patio I
used the wireless connection.)

My laptop(s) ran DHCP __CLIENTS__ Not servers. CLIENTS

They got their LAN address from the DHCP server on the wireless router.

I think your problem is that you are running a server when you should be
running a client. I might be wrong, I'm making a few suppositions
about your network layout. You might also not have the DHCP server on
your wireless/router turned on. Lots of "IF"s.

But that's my guess.

--
The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural
curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards.