Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:52:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2010-09-26 at 17:26 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 16:08 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

This link to a hack came up in the forums:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1577815&page=2>

It recreates the missing function in the kernel headers.

(I'm not taking sides... I just don't have anything ATI >:-) )

I already posted a fix for the driver in this thread. Note that creating
the function outside the GPL ifdef is in all likelyhood a copyright
violation, you're not allowed to change the license

- From a post in our forum:

]> The patch of the fglrx driver code does not work for me since the code
]> is overwritten from the rpm package every time the package is built. If
]> there were a way to patch the code in the RPM package...?

I understand the rpm installation builds something, that would need the patch inplace. So it doesn't work. As I don't have an ATI card, I don't know what to tell them - they have to patch the kernel instead.

Can somebody post complete instructions? Here, in our forum, or in the wiki, please?

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 "Emerald" at Telcontar)