Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: jsa <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 14:54:31 -0700
On 09/26/2010 02:23 PM, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 16:39, Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 26 September 2010, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
And it is GPL v2 and they are bound by that. Yes they can if they hold
the full copyright distribute under another license if they so wish,
but if they publish code under GPL v2 they are bound by that and
anyone else can modify the code under GPLv2. They can say what they
want and make you think what they want but if it is GPL there are
certain rights granted, one of which is no further restrictions.

Well, you may be right. I won't pretend to know all the convoluted legal
mazes
surrounding licensing issues. It could well be that this was legally allowed
to change.

I am pretty sure it would upset the upstream devels, which is never a good
idea. This alone would be reason enough to follow their wishes and not
exploit
the letter of the law, if that were possible

Linus is against it: http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/13/370
And I thought even further back it was decided only NEW exports would
be marked GPL-only, they would not be switched.

Wow. That was as brutal a smack-down as I have ever seen Linus publish.
And he is spot on in his assessment.

So it appears everybody did exactly what he suggested, con the Distros
into inserting this stuff even tho his tree does not include it.
And Opensuse played right along.

--
Explain again the part about rm -rf /