Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:30:13 +0200
On Sunday 26 September 2010, Andrew Joakimsen wrote:
Linus is against it: http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/12/13/370

Well, that email is four years old, so I don't think it expresses his opinion
on this particular function.

And I thought even further back it was decided only NEW exports would
be marked GPL-only, they would not be switched.

Well, it may be. But it did happen. Upstream did make this function GPL-only.
Regardless of what you or I or anyone else thinks about it, it did in fact
happen. Upstream. The writers of the code changed it. They did it. Not suse.
The upstream kernel developers changed it. The licensing decision was made
there, not here. By them.

And, again, it changes nothing for binary drivers. They can still load and
run. The ABI has not changed in any way. It only changes for people who insist
on recompiling their drivers, and surely it isn't too hard for them to apply a
4 or 5 line patch?

Anders