[opensuse] WTF?! NO floppy in Lucid or in Meerkat!
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:26:13 +1000
I've busted my balls over the past 2 days trying to figure out why my floppy will not be recognised and display the contents of a floppy disc.

I need the floppy to be able to flash the BIOS on a pre-loved mobo I bought 2 weeks ago.

I buggered around trying to figure out why the floppy (floppies actually on all the 3 Ubuntu systems I have) won't work - when all did work under the previous distro I was using.

And what do I now find?

The floppy drive is not really catered for by Ubuntu Lucid, or even Meerkat (I've tried) now!

Here is a gem from a Lauchy discussion on this matter:

QUOTE

NoOp [2010-08-31 2:20 -0000]:
> Can one of the devs listed in the assigned: Andy Whitcroft and
> Martin Pitt please explain the status?

You already summarized it pretty well. None of the devs have a floppy
disk, so debugging them is a pain (as much of a pain as floppy disks
are in the first place..) Personally, the last one I had was 2002..

So for now, I'm afraid that you have to use an older Ubuntu release
for now, or use the downgraded version for a while.

I'm sorry that this isn't the answer you are looking for, but it's the
current situation.

UNQUOTE

Note: none of the devs computers with a floppy....so for all you silly bums and no-hopers who do have one.....tuff teaties!

And for all those who still spout the line that Ubuntu will run on all hardware -- get real! It's crap!

(Also, just FYI, and this might explain a few things, all the devs appear to be using laptops, not desktops, for their work; this also stated in this "bug thread".)

There are, however, at least a couple of "fixes" for the above wonderful regression but one of them, which is to be issue on the cli, "devkit-disks --mount /dev/fd0" comes up with the error message that nobody on this planet knows the command "devkit-disks" except, most likely, the one who actually mentioned it in the bug-discussion.

The first "fix" was to insert "floppy" as a new line in /etc/modules - which went down like a lead balloon in my case.

And the last, is to replace in Lucid the latest udisks package from ubuntu with the earlier udisks.1.0.1build1 (by using Package:Force Version) -- this courtesy of NoOp. And, of course, there is no way that you can do this Package:Force Version in Meerkat.

Alright, now that I have vented my frustrations accumulated over the past 2 days, does anyone have a REAL clue to make anything-Ubuntu recognise a floppy drive and display the contents of the disc in it and even format the disc? (Having stated this, the suggestion in the bug-discussion is to keep running an earlier version of Ubuntu - I think it is Karmic but don't quote me.)

If you want to see all of this for yourself then here is the bug-discussion:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/udisks/+bug/441835

BC

--
I didn't know it was impossible when I did it.