Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:09:41 -0700
On 09/23/2010 05:43 PM, Graham Anderson wrote:
On Thursday 23 September 2010 23:39:08 Vadym Krevs wrote:
Personally, I find it unbelievable that openSUSE kernel team would
release a minor kernel upgrade that would screw up all users of the ATI
binary driver.
IMHO, this could have been handled differently. E.g., the updated kernel
could have been released once an updated ATI driver was available.
This kernel update fixed a serious security issue, you would have people with
vulnerable systems wait for a fix to proprietary graphics drivers before they
could have secure systems?

As to a patch - well, it is easy to find and apply, if you're a software
engineer like myself. What about the average Joe user ... So much for
the strategy statement: "The target users of the openSUSE distribution
are people who need to get work done and want something *stable* and
usable for their every day needs."
Do the open source drivers work with this kernel update?

No.

I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, but I thought it was
generally accepted that if you are prepared to use proprietary drivers, and
want some semblance of driver stability, then using an Nvidia card on Linux
was the sane thing to do?

Unfortunately users don't always have the choice to choose Nvidia. In my case, my employer provided a desktop with an embedded ATI Radeon HD 3450. I can live with miserable GUI performance, or I can purchase Nvidia with my own funds, or I can load Win-7. I think I'll take the use-my-own-money route, but it is a frustrating situation nevertheless.

Regards,
Lew