[opensuse] Re: Re: latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:47:46 -0400
John Andersen wrote:

On 9/23/2010 3:39 PM, Michael Powell wrote:
John Andersen wrote:

[snip]
"Joe user" would use the pre-built packages. From what I understand,
they will continue working without needing a recompile, since the
affected function was an inline function before, so the code is already
inside the driver. As far as I know it will continue working without
needing any change (but I don't currently have any ATI cards, so I
can't back this up from personal experience, it is just what I have
heard reported).

Anders

The prebuilt ATI packages wont install either Anders.
That leaves you with their Driver Loader packages.
The driver loader package ATI distributes builds drivers on the fly
and it fails too. If I roll back one kernel, it will (maybe) build.

Currently using what they call Catalyst 10.9 on 2.6.34.7-0.2-desktop. It
builds and works, though I see it as a regression. Drag a window and it
smears really bad and there are some artifacts affecting scrolling in
Kontact and Konsole that I've seen so far. Killing the app when this
happens and restarting it usually makes things good again. 10.9 is very
noticeably slower than 10.8. Think I will go back to 10.8 until next
month.

Thats probably because it silently "fell back to something horrible"
as Lew Wolfgang so eloquently put it. Its probably loaded Mesa at that
point and you are not using what you think you are using.

That sounds right to me. Now where did I hide that 10.8 file from month
ago... As soon as I find it I'm going back to 10.8 for a while.

-Mike