[opensuse] Re: latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 18:39:28 -0400
John Andersen wrote:

[snip]
"Joe user" would use the pre-built packages. From what I understand, they
will continue working without needing a recompile, since the affected
function was an inline function before, so the code is already inside the
driver. As far as I know it will continue working without needing any
change (but I don't currently have any ATI cards, so I can't back this up
from personal experience, it is just what I have heard reported).

Anders

The prebuilt ATI packages wont install either Anders.
That leaves you with their Driver Loader packages.
The driver loader package ATI distributes builds drivers on the fly
and it fails too. If I roll back one kernel, it will (maybe) build.

Currently using what they call Catalyst 10.9 on 2.6.34.7-0.2-desktop. It
builds and works, though I see it as a regression. Drag a window and it
smears really bad and there are some artifacts affecting scrolling in
Kontact and Konsole that I've seen so far. Killing the app when this happens
and restarting it usually makes things good again. 10.9 is very noticeably
slower than 10.8. Think I will go back to 10.8 until next month.

Joe user would be stuck using the open source drivers and forgo
compositing and run it as a 2D card. (Grousing all the while).

Just using the HD 3300 onboard IGP at this point to examine ATI's Linux
support. While the drivers have received increasing amounts of effort on
ATI's part my particular bone to pick is this: I can have either 3D
acceleration or Xinerama dual monitors, but not both. Nvidia's TwinView
provides both. So for me it's looking more and more like ATI is out; the
next card will be Nvidia.

-Mike