Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 23:55:43 +0200
On Thursday 23 September 2010, Vadym Krevs wrote:
IMHO, this could have been handled differently. E.g., the updated kernel
could have been released once an updated ATI driver was available.

As to a patch - well, it is easy to find and apply, if you're a software
engineer like myself. What about the average Joe user ... So much for
the strategy statement: "The target users of the openSUSE distribution
are people who need to get work done and want something *stable* and
usable for their every day needs."

"Joe user" would use the pre-built packages. From what I understand, they will
continue working without needing a recompile, since the affected function was
an inline function before, so the code is already inside the driver. As far as
I know it will continue working without needing any change (but I don't
currently have any ATI cards, so I can't back this up from personal
experience, it is just what I have heard reported).

Anders