Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:48:44 -0700
On 9/23/2010 2:39 PM, Vadym Krevs wrote:
On 23/09/10 22:18, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 23 September 2010, Vadym Krevs wrote:
Hi all,

just a heads up. If you use the ATI binary driver, and install the
latest kernel update (2.6.34.7-0.3), then you will no longer be able to
recompile the ATI driver due to missing compat_alloc_user_space() symbol
in fglrx/kcl_ioctl.c.

According to http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1277377,
the "compat_alloc_user_space()" symbol became GPL-only, got moved to
another header, etc.

Personally, I find it unbelievable that openSUSE kernel team would
release a minor kernel upgrade that would screw up all users of the ATI
binary driver.
I don't think there was much of a choice, since upstream decided to license
the new function "GPl only". Distributions can change things in open source
code, but as far as I know only BSD style licenses allow relicensing.

FYI there is a patch for the ATI driver

Anders
IMHO, this could have been handled differently. E.g., the updated kernel
could have been released once an updated ATI driver was available.

As to a patch - well, it is easy to find and apply, if you're a software
engineer like myself. What about the average Joe user ... So much
for the strategy statement: "The target users of the openSUSE distribution
are people who need to get work done and want something *stable*
and usable for their every day needs."

Except some of those ATI drivers will never be updated, because the cards in
question
are long out of production, but still in wide use. The opensource drivers are
no where
near capable enough yet.

You can't really patch the binary drivers.