Re: [opensuse] latest kernel update breaks ATI binary driver
  • From: Vadym Krevs <vkrevs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:39:08 +0100
On 23/09/10 22:18, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Thursday 23 September 2010, Vadym Krevs wrote:
Hi all,

just a heads up. If you use the ATI binary driver, and install the
latest kernel update (2.6.34.7-0.3), then you will no longer be able to
recompile the ATI driver due to missing compat_alloc_user_space() symbol
in fglrx/kcl_ioctl.c.

According to http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/linux/kernel/1277377,
the "compat_alloc_user_space()" symbol became GPL-only, got moved to
another header, etc.

Personally, I find it unbelievable that openSUSE kernel team would
release a minor kernel upgrade that would screw up all users of the ATI
binary driver.
I don't think there was much of a choice, since upstream decided to license
the new function "GPl only". Distributions can change things in open source
code, but as far as I know only BSD style licenses allow relicensing.

FYI there is a patch for the ATI driver

Anders
IMHO, this could have been handled differently. E.g., the updated kernel could have been released once an updated ATI driver was available.

As to a patch - well, it is easy to find and apply, if you're a software engineer like myself. What about the average Joe user ... So much for the strategy statement: "The target users of the openSUSE distribution are people who need to get work done and want something *stable* and usable for their every day needs."

--
Regards,
Vadym