Re: [opensuse] Now That Novell is seling the Linux Division...
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:24:40 +0200
On Tue, 2010-09-21 at 19:33 -0400, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 21/09/10 19:06, Brian K. White escribió:

Someone should really learn the value of planning ahead.

So you want us to "guess" ? let me sacrifice a goat and light a circle NOTE:
Column C is the CPU time in percent. The time available is the number of CPU
cores times 100. On the test system there is 200 available.
of fire...

I think the speculation has the potential to be useful. The questions
asked and opinions offered are, indeed, all guesswork. But what does
arise from the speculations are questions like:

Would the purchase even include openSUSE? openSUSE is indeed funded
heavily by Novell in the form of workers. But that is not the same as
saying it is owned by Novell. Should our question here be not so much
who is buying openSUSE as who will continue to support openSUSE should
the new owners of Novell fail to do so? The list members pondering the
future could indeed begin to see how openSUSE could survive loss of
funding/workers by Novell, should that come to pass. What are the other
options for funding? For example, do Nokia/intel contribute financially
for the use of OBS for Meego?

Another question is: what tools used to maintain openSUSE are owned by
Novell and not by openSUSE? Are openSUSE free to continue using those
tools even if Novell exit the picture?

I do not think the answer to either of these things is speculation, as
it must surely be described in the openSUSE project charter. I think
that even if Novell were not for sale and future support not decided,
these are interesting questions.

Planning starts with pondering possibilities.

++1

reality backed by evidence is what is required to start planning, you
can't plan with rumours and suppositions, that's the definition of guessing.

It is even harder to plan if you ignore the question. I do not think
anyone is really expecting answers. We all are intelligent enough to get
the fact that nothing is known at this time. But that does not mean that
the questions do not exist. And they can surely be asked. It is only the
answers that are missing. In asking the questions, you can begin to
formulate dealing with possible answers so that when they do arrive, you
might be just that little bit more prepared. Or not.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB